“Wuxtry, wuxtry!”

Post subject: Harlem Globetrotters Theme Song
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:30 pm 

I am currently looking for the "whistling" version of "Sweet Georgia Brown", famously known as the theme song of The Harlem Globetrotters basketball team. The only CD version that I have turned up is a listing on Amazon for "Globetrottin with Bones" by Brother Bones & His Shadows, but the sole review of the disc claims that is sourced from extremely low quality MP3 files. Do any fellow ICE members know of any compilation disc out there that might contain this song, or am I gonna have to hunt down the (probably quite expensive) Brother Bones 45 single? Thanks for any info you might have.

This post may not be re-transmitted in any form, without the express written consent of the Commissioner's Office

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:47 pm 

I just downloaded it from a soundtrack of Scrubs season 2. I checked Amazon and I see no season 2 soundtrack......so I have no dea about it. Anyway I just listened to the song and it sounds like the version I've always heard. Check your pm box and hopefully this file sounds good enough for you!

We watched him at 4:53.
And I'm glad you chose to spend the night with me .

Profile E-mail  

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:34 am 
Yes...my real name is Steve..REALLY!

Bannings: Living on the edge.
Zane wrote:
I just downloaded it from a soundtrack of Scrubs season 2. I checked Amazon and I see no season 2 soundtrack......so I have no dea about it. Anyway I just listened to the song and it sounds like the version I've always heard. Check your pm box and hopefully this file sounds good enough for you!

As the family and I are going to see the Globetrotters in Boston tomorrow, this thread got my attention. I didn't realize the track was so tough to find. I assume that the version you're speaking of was either a DVD rip or something taking from the internet. I'd love to talk to you more about it though when you have a chance. Please PM me if you can.

Boston Red Sox - 2004, 2007 & 2013 World Series Champions!

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:42 am 
The Pope of Pop!

Bannings: Banned??? Moi???
With all those sports-themed CDs in the Archives, this is nowhere to be found?!?! I can't believe it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:50 pm 

There are several copies of the Brother Bones 45 for sale on eBay. I'm not sure which are originals vs reissues. If sound quality isn't a major issue (and you can tolerate lossy quality) the song can be downloaded from Amazon or iTunes.

I'm not being sarcastic here; I'm genuinely not knowledgeable. How good will a recording from 1949 sound? Would an mp3 sacrifice anything significant?

Do we trust that Amazon review that says the CD was sourced from mp3s? (I don't know how to do an analysis of an audio file to determine if it has ever been lossy.)

When I saw this thread title, I was remembering my "Globetrotters" LP (which is in storage at my folks house unless they threw it out at some point.) I really enjoyed that album and have hoped it would be issued on CD, if for no reason other than its sentimental value.

My dad took me to see the Harlem Globetrotters in 1971 (for my 10th birthday.) Best birthday present EVER!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:07 pm 

My late Dad and I went to see the Globetrotters at the University of Santa Clara in the late '70s.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:55 pm 

Zane wrote:

Zane, thanks so much for the pm. That is exactly what I am looking for, and I loved listening to it. :D However, ...

Jon Tyler wrote:
If sound quality isn't a major issue (and you can tolerate lossy quality) the song can be downloaded from Amazon or iTunes.

I'm not being sarcastic here; I'm genuinely not knowledgeable. How good will a recording from 1949 sound? Would an mp3 sacrifice anything significant?

The issue here is not sound quality, but the fact that I am looking for this as a gift for someone near and dear, and am hoping to find this on physical media. "I care so much, that I downloaded this song for you" is not exactly the message that I want to send, if you know what I mean. I appreciate the suggestions, and may well end up burning this onto a blank disc, but for now my search goes on ...

This post may not be re-transmitted in any form, without the express written consent of the Commissioner's Office

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:15 pm 

Collector's Choice has this on CD: Brother Bones and His Shadows - Globetrottin with Bones.

collectorschoicemusic.com

Who is WANline